[Wylug-discuss] a webdesign query / mini rant

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jan 13 12:15:45 GMT 2006

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006, Dave Fisher wrote:

> The tricky bit is authoring the 'special'  Microsoft .ico format in
> Linux.

Is that necessary?  I thought just slinging in a .bmp of the correct
dimensions should get what you want for web use.

> Not 'therefore'. IE does support PNG _and_ transparency, but it only
> supports semi-transparency in PNGs (alpha blending) via a proprietary
> extension.
>
> This will be fixed in IE7.

It will be a good day when 8-bit alpha is supported by all browsers.  But then
it's not like they've been in any rush.

jh

--
"Une belle fille et un demi de Kronenbourg est la cle de tous les secrets de
  l'univers, la solution a toutes nos souffrances, le remede a la condition