[Wylug-discuss] KDE 'newbie' question 1: keybindings

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jan 17 18:24:38 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 17 Jan 2006 10:48, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've just been giving KDE a whirl. My impressions so far are mixed.
>
> Some things have really improved since the last time I looked at it
> seriously, others just confirm my previous impressions (particularly
> re simplicity and usability ... not).
>
> I hope people don't mind me asking a lot of silly newbie style
> questions, but I really don't want to misjudge KDE, just because I
> can't see or find useful features where I'd expect to find them.

Dave, from what I've seen in the last week, there whereabouts of the
various settings is very distro-specific.  Certainly Mandriva, Debian
and Fedora Core have very different ideas in how these things are
listed.  Prior to my recent experimentation I had thought that it was a
kde decision, but clearly it is not.

> My first bad impression of KDE was formed when I found that
> keybindings are set in the 'Internationalisation' section of 'System
> Settings', rather than the 'Keyboard' section.

It's in Accessibility, here.

> I was then very disappointed by the number/range of commands that I
> was offered bindings for.
>
> Are the options in 'Internationalisation' the final word on the
> subject, or is there a wider selection hidden away somewhere else?
>
> For example, is there some generic (qt?) mechanism for attaching
> keystrokes to gui menu items, as in gtk?

I think you will find that many kde applications have the ability within
their setting menus to attach key-bindings, although they are then
globally set.

> I was frankly amazed to find no obvious default keybinding for
> creating a new tab/console/session in konsole.  I'd tend to consider
> that a bit of a necessity.

I see that you found that.  If there are other specifics that you need,
list them and we'll see if we can find them.

Anne