[Wylug-discuss] The talk on processes from last night....

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Wed Mar 15 16:53:43 GMT 2006

Jim Jackson <jj at franjam.org.uk> writes:

> I've put the talk I gave last night on my web site. It referenced from my
> Linux web page at
>
>    http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/jj/linux.html
>
> The talk is available is a variety of formats
>
>    http://www.comp.leeds.ac.uk/jj/linux/processes.html
>                                                  .ps
>                                                  .pdf
>
> I've added the various commands I demo'd as an extra section on the talk.

One interesting and little known fact not mentioned is that in
addition to PID 1 (init), there's also a mysterious PID 0 (swapper),
which is hidden in the ps output (and /proc).  This is the first task
on the system, and it is the secret parent of PID 1 (init).  It is, in
effect, the PID of the kernel task itself.

See include/linux/init_task.h (INIT_TASK) for more details.
and arch/powerpc/kernel/init_task.c, for example usage.

Regards,
Roger

--
Roger Leigh