[Wylug-discuss] desktop background image

Seb James seb at hypercubesystems.co.uk
Wed May 10 13:36:57 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-10 at 11:58 +0000, Neil Pilgrim wrote:
> Seb James wrote:

> [...]
> >>does xsetroot do what you want?
> >
> > Almost - it will set the background with a tiled bitmap image, but it
> > has to be a .xbm file, which is a two colour X bitmap image.
> >
> > That's the sort of program though.
> >
> > Thanks for the suggestion, I'm off to google for "xsetroot alternative"
>
> How about the display program in imagemagick?
>    display -window root file.jpg
>
> I've used this in the past. Maybe it has too many dependencies for you?
> Not gnome though.

Yes, too many dependencies unfortunately, or rather the deps are too big
(libMagick is quite bit given all the functionality it packs).

Perhaps I'll have to write pngsetroot, which will link to libpng and
nothing else.

Seb

--
Embedded Software Foundry Ltd. 'Embedded Linux Development'
Tel: +44 (0)845 4580277   Web: http://www.esfnet.co.uk/