[Wylug-discuss] ADSL migration

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Thu May 11 17:58:48 BST 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 17:19, James Holden wrote:
> I'm not sure why you want to pay a fixed sum, because some months you're
> going to be paying for bandwidth you're not using. What about when
> you're on holiday, or just having a quiet month? You could benefit from
> those quieter times.

Possibly, although we are rarely all on holiday at the same time ;-)

> PlusNet's PAYG accounts might suit you. You pay 14.99 as a base charge
> which includes 1GB of usage, then 1 pound per GB of usage thereafter.  You
> can avoid the unpleasant surprises by using the transfer watch tool to set
> your own usage limit, which you can revise if you reach it.
>
> I'm not trying to shill for PN here, but the days of uncapped usage are
> numbered and just paying a fixed monthly fee isn't the only way to pay
> for your broadband - there are more flexible ways, and you say your
> usage is unpredictable, so why put up with a high cost every month?
>
> Do you know if you can get >2MB where you are? ICUKNET don't seem to
> offer the MaxDSL products yet.

From the research I did on Tuesday it would appear that we could.  ICUKNET
don't offer it yet.  They said "Later in the year we will be offering higher
speeds with the launch of our LLU services, and by December we should see
guaranteed speeds of 22mb rolling out across the country."

> PS: PN's PAYG usage isn't metered between midnight and 8am, so if you
> shedule your ISO downloads for then you won't pay for them!

I'm fairly flexible on what is acceptable, but I first have to convince my
son-in-law.  He pays half of the bill :-)

Anne