[Wylug-discuss] linux laptop - REVISITING

Roger Beaumont roger.b at beaunet.force9.net
Sat Sep 16 08:11:16 BST 2006

On 17/12/2005, Dave Fisher wrote:
> ... I'm inclined
> to go down the relatively safe IBM/Lenovo Stinkpad route (again).

I don't really want a laptop, but now I'm doing a PGCE, working between
home, College, plus 3 placement schools during the year, I guess either I
do lots of handwriting during the day, then lots of re-typing every
evening, or I get a laptop, so the evening 'retyping' is reduced to
plugging in a network cable and squirting that day's stuff onto my RAID.

Since lots of educational stuff only works under 'Doze, I think it'll have
to be dual-boot; I'm not going to be able to run Linux only (FC5 is what's
on my other kit) - and I'll want to plug it into the projectors running in
classrooms for presentations and access to my own bookmarks.

Since it's a matter of 'have to' rather than 'want to', I don't want to
spend more than I must.

CCL are currently offering the Lenovo 3000 C100 TB03EUK (Celeron M 370
1.5GHz / 256MB DDR2; 40GB HDD / DVD CDRW Combo; 15" XGA TFT / Bluetooth /
Wireless / XP Home; Ports - 4 USB 2.0 ... RJ-45 ... External Display (VGA))
at £ 319.59 ex VAT, £ 375.52 inc VAT.

 From what Dave and others said the last time laptops for Linux came up,
that looks as if it should be a good prospect, but does anyone else know if
it really is, or of an even better way to go?

Also, if anyone knows of any gotchas when I start to add Linux to the
pre-installed XP, they'd be good to know about.

Thanks in advance,

Roger