[Wylug-discuss] linux laptop - REVISITING

Roger Beaumont roger.b at beaunet.force9.net
Sun Sep 24 01:41:21 BST 2006

OK, so I've got it - a Lenovo 3000 C100 - but...

With the possible exception of the wireless networking, it's spot on with
Fedora 5: the installer configured everything else, including the display
and touch-pad mouse, even to putting an icon on the tool bar that shows
power source and remaining charge in the battery.

And then there's the Windows Repair and Rescue system...

Ignoring the fact that much of it is nonsense (for instance, the machine
has a CDRW drive, but the 'Create Boot Disk' utility is only capable of
writing floppies... and requires you to buy an external USB floppy drive),
the main system restore facility won't work after one has resized the
partition.  And even if you delete Linux and let it use all the space
available, its 'restore to factory condition' facility needs both FIXBOOT
and FIXMBR from an XP install disc (which, luckily, I have).

I ought to have the sense to let M$ well alone, didn't I?

Unfortunately, compatibility with the M$-based stuff in schools is a big
chunk of why I bought it, so I can't,  :(  but I can run OSS apps like
OO.org & Firefox.  :)

So I can recommend it as a cheap machine for Linux, but dual-boot looks
fragile for 'Doze.

The next project is to get Linux (with apps) to boot from a DVD using USB
memory for swap space.  Does that make sense?   ;^)

Roger

PS Thanks for all input on the way - it gave me the confidence I needed.