[Wylug-discuss] linux laptop - REVISITING

Roger Beaumont roger.b at beaunet.force9.net
Sun Sep 24 22:06:51 BST 2006

tom hall wrote:
> are you using grub as the bootloader? you can have as many windows
> installs along side linux as you like.
> is the windows partition a primary one (pref at the beginning)
> is there a silly hidden partition installed by the manufacturer?

Yes to all of those - but Linux was fine, it was 'Doze that had problems

> dont use usb for swap, as its slow and dies if you repeatedly write to
> it. knoppix is the best of breed dvd distro (i prefer gnome so gnoppix
> may be better for me but ive not looked for a while). it will use any
> swap partitions you have.

i.e. none...

> if the repair and rescue disk came from the laptop manufacturer, then
> it should not surprise you if it returns to the default setup sans any
> changes you made.

The r&r 'disk' is solely that 'silly, hidden partition' - no CDs or DVDs at
all.  What surprised me was that it did ask if it should use the reduced
size partition (which did have enough room - 11 gig free), but when I told
it 'yes', it refused to proceed - and even when it did have the whole disk
to play with, it did a faulty job, not rewriting the boot sector or MBR.
That's tacky!

> its been a long time since i did much more than the minimum in windows
> so dont know "repair and rescue" if its a windows feature.
> re: networking, look at ndiswrapper and see if that helps.
>
> hope that helps

Thanks,

Roger