[Wylug-discuss] ISO MS OpenXML Vote

mikeb at gbdirect.co.uk mikeb at gbdirect.co.uk
Tue Aug 14 14:34:01 BST 2007

On Tue, Aug 14, 2007 at 01:51:51PM +0100, Smylers wrote:
> Anybody know which way BSI are planning on voting in the ISO vote on
> adoption of OpenXML (Microsoft's rival to the properly open ODF) as a
> word processor document format?

I'm a member of the BSI panel on this one. Confidentialy prevents me from
divulging its deliberations (part of the BSI rules of participation).

Note that this is a purely advisory technical panel. It does not determine
the UK vote.

It's now up to the higher committees in BSI to determine what they should do given
that there are some 600 defects registered on the wiki at http://www.xmlopen.org/ooxml-wiki/index.php/Main_Page

One would hope that the higher committees are clued-up enough to take that into account. We will find
out in due course whether or not that be the case.

Alex Brown of the UK's BSI panel (all of whom are 'volunteers', i.e. not remunerated by BSI
for their work) will be the convenor of the ballot resolution meeting at ISO/IEC if enough
countries vote agains. Everything I have seen or heard of him conveys the impression
that he's a straight as a die. From what I suspect are the interests of most at wylug,
he can probably be considered an asset.
See http://www.adjb.net/index.php?entry=entry070811-114925

Mike
--