[Wylug-discuss] Eee pc - proprietary badness

Martin Rowe dbg400.net at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 06:51:22 GMT 2007

On 09/12/2007, Nigel Metheringham
<nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk> wrote:

> On 9 Dec 2007, at 17:50, John Leach wrote:

[snip]
> > They also "prevent" you from upgrading the RAM in it.  Prevent is in
> > quotes, because there is a ram upgrade slot, and it's normal ram you
> > could purchase and upgrade, but there is a "warranty void" sticker
> > over
> > the slot.
>
> Voiding warranty on a RAM upgrade would not stand up under UK consumer
> law, unless of course you upgraded with a pick-axe or similar.

ASUS have clarified their position on the RAM upgrade issue, due to
"feedback from one of its valued customers" - upgrading the RAM is
okay:
http://usa.asus.com/news_show.aspx?id=9223

Thanks to those that brought them to the meeting yesterday - they look
more impressive in 'real life' than in the photos I've seen. Now I'm
stuck on which colour to go for ;)

Regards, Martin
--
martin at dbg400.net  AIM/Gaim: DBG400dotNet  http://www.dbg400.net   /"\
DBG/400 - AS/400 & iSeries Open Source/Free Software utilities     \ /