[Wylug-discuss] Text-based Web Browser with SSL Authentication and Javascript

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Sun Dec 23 13:24:06 GMT 2007

It's often difficult to access the wonderful world of "Web (Me) 2.0", or
even simple SSL-based sites, in a text browser

I've been trying out eLinks, because it claims Javascript, CSS and SSL
support.

Unfortunately, eLinks has been unable to access any of the
sites/applications I need to use.

In one case, it delivered a login prompt for one of my own SSL sites,
but failed to authenticate ... I know for certain that I got the
username/password combination correct, so I'm guessing that it has
problems with Digest authentication or silently rejects my hand-rolled
certificate.

In the case of Google Mail, it apparently fails to recognise an input
context correctly, because when I type the first letter of my username
(d) in the login form, eLinks pops up a download dialogue box ('d' is
the default binding for the 'download' command').

Any idea what's going wrong, or how to work around it?

Dave