[Wylug-discuss] Yet another advocacy option: e-petitions

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Feb 1 17:55:47 GMT 2007

On Thu, 1 Feb 2007, Smylers wrote:

> Also in the BBC's defence of thinking that it wants DRM, I believe it
> BBC makes a fair chunk of money from selling programmes abroad.  If Dr
> Who episodes, say, are freeling available for all Brits to download and
> copy wherever they want, then it's likely that people in other countries
> will get these passed on to them, thus reducing the price networks in
> other countries are willing to pay for the series -- which, ultimately,
> the BBC could argue would result in less money being available to make
> programmes for Brits to watch.

A bit like transmitting 20Mbit H264 high definition feeds over the air* with
no DRM at all you mean?  It doesn't even require real technical know-how.
Just buy a Topfield PVR, drop it on your network and you're good to go**.

> (Note I'm not saying that I subscribe to this point of view, or that I
> agree that DRM will prevent programmes from being pirated, merely that I
> can see why the BBC could rationally think this.)

jh

*  only from Crystal Palace </grumble-grumble>
** I believe.

--
"Tact in audacity consists in knowing how far we may go too far."
                                                      -- Jean Cocteau