[Wylug-discuss] Windows Refund. HP vs DELL.

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Mon Feb 26 14:04:33 GMT 2007

shaun laughey writes:

> ... in the UK it's almost impossible to buy a decent (and I include HP
> laptops here) system without paying for windows.

Here's an alternative point of view I recently came across.  Basically
it's pointing out that by paying for a Windows licence computer
manufacturers then have something on which ISPs and antivirus purveyors
will pay to have their software pre-installed.  These bribes obviously
lower the manufacturers' costs in building a computer, so a Windows-free
computer without such pre-installed software might not be as cheap as
you'd first think:

  http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/gerv/archives/2007/02/junk_app_preloads_subsidise_yo.html

Smylers