[Wylug-discuss] PDA's in schools

Roger roger.bea at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 15 23:50:47 GMT 2007

Glenn Glidden wrote:
> As an IT Manager in a Leeds FE College can I add my agreement to what Rob
> has said here, frighteningly similar at our place!
<snip>
> I really would like to hear from other educational users (school/College)
> about their experiences and how they have managed to take Linux forward,
> even if it's mainly based on FOSS applications as opposed to Linux per-se.

I'm retraining as a teacher (after teaching computing in FE and with the
OU - and use Linux almost exclusively at home).  The amount of 'Doze
lock-in I'm finding is depressing.  For one thing, interactive
whiteboards - as far as I've discovered - _only_ integrate with Word.
Again, the school where I did my first teaching practice has lots of
Powerpoint stuff on the shelf, but it isn't pure ppt, a lot of it uses
embedded Flash (!), so not only won't OO.org play some of them back
properly, but neither will the old copy of M$ Office 97 I have from my
pre-*ux days.  And that illustrates the degree to which the circle is
vicious: it isn't sufficient to use the M$ product, it is necessary to
keep buying updates...  (In contrast, I updated OO from 2.0 to 2.1 last
weekend simply by doing a download and install.)

Again, the school's email system was basically web-based, but when I was
logged in over the school LAN, it's configured to use proprietary
extensions to IE, so Firefox won't do.  (Ironically, the Internet portal
which I can use from outside school _is_ properly web-standards-based,
so from off-site, Firefox is fine!!!)

Yet again, to support my PGCE, I bought a Lenovo laptop.  As hardware,
it's great - Linux went into it and just worked - but 'Doze is supplied
tucked away on a hidden partition... and that refuses to
repair/re-install 'Doze if the partiton size is changed (to accomodate
Linux on another partition).

That, I think, illustrates one aspect of why schools and colleges don't
change: the middle-ware suppliers (quite possibly under pressure from
M$) also tie you into M$.  As illustrated by the email thing, it is
perfectly possible to solve the problems with a standards-based
solution, but they don't.  It so happens that I can write my own
replacements for all those Powerpoint slides using HTML, etc. (and I
think the replacements are superior), but it's an extra load on my time
- and teachers don't have a lot of that to spare.

For most teachers, the latest version of M$ software (and their laptops)
are paid for by school and, given that unnecessary expense, things 'just
work'.

IMHO, the advocacy needs to be targeted on the next tier: those in
ultimate control of the purse strings, the politicians.  Has/did
everyone interested in this issue lobbied their MPs to support Early Day
Motion 179?

Roger