[Wylug-discuss] MS Office Open XML ISO standard fast track

Phil Driscoll phil at dialsolutions.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 10:20:48 GMT 2007

Groklaw readers may have already seen this excellent document
http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/EOOXML_objections
detailing the absurd mess which is the Ecma 376 Office Open XML standard
currently being fast tracked through the ISO process.

As I understand it, National standards bodies have until Friday to lodge any
objections to the fast tracking. In the UK, the BSI need to be encouraged to
object to the fast tracking process so that the standard is discussed in
committee, where I would hope that sanity will prevail and the 6000 pages of
junk will receive the treatment it deserves.

If you feel strongly about this and have some time today, please email one of
the BSI representatives with your views. Contact details are at
http://www.grokdoc.net/index.php/EOOXML_Contacts#UNITED_KINGDOM_.28BSI.29

I emailed francis at franciscave.com who is Chairman or the BSI IST/41 committee.
From the BSI website:

 "IST/41 is responsible for document description and processing languages and
  represents the UK in the work of the International Committee: ISO/IEC JTC
  1/SC 34, which maintains and develops standards for SGML (and extentions to
  support HTML and XML), DSDL, HyTime, ISMID and presentation standards such
  as SPDL and DSSSL"

He has passed my email on to the rest of his committee and to the chair of
ICT/-/1, the committee responsible for responding for the UK position on the
initial review of ECMA-376.

Cheers
--
Phil Driscoll