[Wylug-discuss] 'Pathetic' FLOSS Advocacy - Put it to the test?

John Leach john at johnleach.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 22:53:25 GMT 2007

Hi Dave,

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 21:25 +0000, Dave Fisher wrote:
> Some people will remember me getting flamed a few weeks ago for
> expressing a certain amount of pessimism about the open source
> commmunity's marketing and lobbying capacities (lack thereof).

<snip>
> I tend to think that if less than 5 percent of wylug members are
> willing/able to report that they have written such a letter, it's not
> unreasonable to question our capabilities as an open source advocacy
> group.

I tend to think that if less than 5 percent of wylug members are able to
ride a unicycle, it's not unreasonable to question our capabilities as a
circus troupe.

The WYLUG webpage states that WYLUG's aim is "to offer informal help and
guidance to GNU Linux and Open Source software users".  Maybe we're not
good at advocacy as a group because we're not an advocacy group.

To be honest, your e-mail annoyed and upset me, and I don't know where
to even start usefully discussing it.

John.