[Wylug-discuss] Becta

Roger Beaumont roger.bea at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Jan 24 23:42:04 GMT 2007

Just to report that following a mention of the Becta report on M$ Office
2007 and such, I read the report (at
http://publications.becta.org.uk/display.cfm?resID=28199&page=1835 ) then
emailed them to express my appreciation and give some other examples of
practices that tend to lock schools into M$.

I was pleased to get a nice reply, which included:
"Becta is indeed committed to the use of open standards and promoting
interoperability, and we are working with a range of suppliers across
the ICT industry to encourage and persuade them to commit to this, and
will continue to do so.  Our recent reports on Microsoft Vista and
Office 2007 are just one element of the work we are currently
undertaking in this area.

"Thank you for the examples you have raised which are helpful as we
consider our future work on standards and interoperability."

OK it isn't that much, but I hope it all helps.

Roger