[Wylug-discuss] System Crash

Chris Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 11:00:57 BST 2007

Hi Mark,

On 06/07/07, Mark Spink <dmspink at aria.uklinux.net> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have a co-location server thats has been running without a problem for
> over 3 years. This morning we had our first problem in ages, we could
> not connect to the web server or ssh, however we could still ping the
> server. Diagnostics is not my main area of expertise and if anyone could
> tell me where or how-to diagnose what happened I'd be grateful, perhaps
> even a few pints grateful!

Sorry to hear of your issues. So networking is still up but ssh and web
server are not responding.

Can you browse to the web server by ip address or login to ssh via ip as
opposed to domain?

Can you ping both via IP and URL?

As it has been running w/out a problem for three years is there a
possibility that the problem lies not with the server but with something
else? You don't say if it is back up but I would go for a straight reboot
(if you can) and then examine logs afterwards. I'm guessing telnet is not
running - are there any other services that you can test? FTP? Mail?

HTH,
Chris

P.S. Above all, remember, DONT PANIC!

--