[Wylug-discuss] Favourite FOSS apps and tools?

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Tue Jul 17 13:33:12 BST 2007

On 17 Jul 2007, at 12:16, Smylers wrote:

> Last month Louisa Parry writes:
>
>> So then - which FOSS applications/tools do you enjoy using and why?
>> what's been your best find?
>
> * poster -- great for making large printouts on A4 paper

On a similar line, the psutils set of tools for postscript manipulation
have been absolutely invaluable to me in the past. They allow you do
things such as n-up printing, rearranging for book printing (ie given 8
pages of A4 how do you arrange them to print correctly on 2 sheets of A4
as a A5 folded booklet), as well as many other esoteric postscript
transformations.

I've been using that set of utilities for something like 15 years, and
the only reason I don't use them so much now is that I rarely print
stuff off (and if I do it tends to be formats which are finally handled
correctly by the standard print drivers).

     Nigel.