[Wylug-discuss] ZFS Stuff

Tom Hall thattommyhall at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 22:36:49 BST 2007

I hope all the folk that wanted the DVDs got them, I'll bring more
next time if you send me an email.
I'm quite excited about the chance to demo some more so will think
about an interesting way to spend the extra time (I also will not be
relying on a virtual machine, ill bring a proper system down with 8
drives and play with that as I have just taken back a NAS I sold
someone before Christmas as hes not happy with it)

The files are at www.thattommyhall.com/zfs.tar.gz , but not much else
is till I move the domain to SiteGround. I have been very pleased with
them, you can set up a blog in about 5 mins with them using all sorts
of CMS systems .
http://www.siteground.com/index.htm?referrerid=52911 (if you sign up I
get free hosting)

I think John and I tried to give you 2 talks each in half a talks
worth of time, I for one would have liked to see more on ruby. I am
really intrigued by it, but I think its difficult to show people the
power you get using it as shorter examples seem pointless and a proper
use of the magic is too difficult to explain.

Thank you all for being such good company, I had had a headache since
lunchtime but your stimulating conversations kept my mind off it.

If you check out http://del.icio.us/thattommyhall/zfs you will see my
saved links on ZFS including some from today (my boss told me that my
del.icio.us page helped me get the job, which I had never
considered!). It seems to depend who in Apple you ask and when if they
are going to use ZFS so that's still unclear, though they have
extended DTrace which sounds ace.

In case you thought our talks were completely unrelated, here is a
superb page on using DTrace to track Rails performance on Solaris
http://joyeur.com/2007/04/24/solaris-dtrace-and-rails

While reading http://blogs.sun.com/bmc/ today i stumbled across
http://www.cs.brown.edu/courses/cs169/ which just reminds me why I
love the internet and is definitely on my list of things to study.

finally the links for other stuff on the DVDs is
www.gnusolaris.org
http://www.genunix.org/distributions/belenix_site/
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/zfs_learning_center.jsp (Bill
Moore vids and demos)