[Wylug-discuss] Favourite FOSS apps and tools?

Nick R nick at ngr78.co.uk
Fri Jun 22 11:46:53 BST 2007

Firefox (minus the branding for the FOSS pedants) has to be top of the
list for me.

As a web developer, it popularity has meant a shift towards developing
standards based websites, rather than Internet Exploder targeted sites
( and even MS has made SOME effort to conform to standards better than
past).
A side effect of this is that because its cross platform it has
allowed minority operating systems to be more suitable as web browsing
platforms, which as a one of the biggest past-times for home users,
which in terms helps popularity for Linux... I can't imagine Ubuntu
being half as popular as it is now in a world where Firefox never
existed.

A close 2nd for me is Subversion (CVS beaten simply due to personal
preference + I use SVN in windows at work and Linux at home, whereas
CVS is only at home). IMHO these are foundation tools for many/most
FOSS projects and therefore hold an important significance to the
success of FOSS projects.

Cheers, Nick