[Wylug-discuss] Favourite FOSS apps and tools?

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jun 22 16:42:51 BST 2007

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Dave Whiteley wrote:

> Well,  2d worth,
>
> I have tried hard to persuade undergraduates that (x)emacs is a better editor
> for programming than $soft notepad, and in rare cases have succeeded.
>
> I do not think that this would have been possible with vi.

You'd be surprised, as gvim is really quite easy to coax people to use.  gvim
works nicely under windows and comes with default 'personalities' to make
getting started easy.

jh

--
"I think it is well also for the man in the street to realise that there is no
  power on earth that will protect him from being bombed.  Whatever people may