[Wylug-discuss] Re: Windows-only distribution of BBC Programs

Roger roger.bea at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jun 24 03:15:59 BST 2007

Smylers wrote:
> On Wylug Announce mikeb at gbdirect.co.uk writes:
>> It's a total disgrace that the BBC has decided to release its programs
>> in a DRM-infested Windows-only format.
>
> It's disappointing.  But is there a good alternative?
> This analysis makes some good points in defence of the BBC's decision:
>   http://www.currybet.net/cbet_blog/2007/06/free_the_bbc_drm_debate.php

That article suggests that outsourcing programme production and
scrapping DRM are incompatible, implying that argues against scrapping
DRM, but isn't it just as powerful an argument against outsourcing?

I can't answer that as such, but there's a clear point that the current
business model isn't adequate in some respect.

My argument is that license payers have already paid for the BBC's
output, so it should be available for their personal use.

I know that 'only' moves the argument to a different position, but
that's significant.  Organisations big enough to crack DRM and rip off
the license payers (note, not 'rip off the BBC') ar big enough to
identify and attack.

Further, credit card numbers can be handled sufficiently securely for
Web trading to be viable, which is evidence that BBC license numbers
could be too.  I don't see why license fees should subsidise those who
don't pay for the license! (Others should be charged, even for personal
use.)

There's a case for the BBC, but it doesn't justify publication in any
proprietory format, it justifies other remedies.

Roger