[Wylug-discuss] Thin Clients

Rob Hall rob at waylock.co.uk
Wed Mar 14 22:22:55 GMT 2007

Hello folks,

I've been asked to look at contributing to a feasibility study for the
following scenario.

We are looking at the possibility of moving away from desktop machines in our
computer suites and towards thin clients. The rationale behind this is that
as money is squeezed from our budgets we need to extend the life expectancy
of the machines we have in our college. As we have a large number of
perfectly serviceable machines which are now needing replacement we figured
we could use them as thin client terminals until they die a death. After that
we would replace them with something like the JackPC.

Our current situation is a Windows S2k3 environment which we would need to put
a thin client front-end to for some of our suites (around 120 machines) and
we are looking at a number of solutions - one of which would be to use a
Linux based TC server and Client which would RDP into the Windows back-end
servers.

Has anyone done anything like this before or push me off in the right
direction. I've done a fair bit of digging and it looks pretty possible but,
as ever, the devil is in the detail. I'm just vaguely excited that we might
get the penguin into our server room!!

TIA

Rob