[Wylug-discuss] FLOSS Cross-platform Web-oriented Text Editor For Newbies

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Tue May 29 14:38:47 BST 2007

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 01:31:33PM +0100, Samuel Wright wrote:
> On 29/05/07, Dave Fisher <wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk> wrote:
> >On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 08:45:51PM +0100, Roy Mac wrote:
> >> Not sure what you mean by "whole-file indentation" ...
>
> Not really what you want, but xmllint[1] (available in cygwin) can
> indent a file for you. So if you can set up a call from whatever
> editor you decide to use, and replace the text you have with the text
> filtered through xmllint.
>
> [1] http://xmlsoft.org/xmllint.html

Thanks for reminding me about that.

It's an option I would consider, if I could find some way of controlling
its formatting.

I think that most absolute beginners find it easier to grasp the basics
of markup indentation, if the examples they are given show block level
elements starting on new lines.

In the output samples I've just produced, <li> elements niether start on
a new line, nor are they indented within <ol> and <ul> elements.  This
is definitely not what I want.

Dave