[Wylug-discuss] GNU/Linux users - sign petition to say you use BBC web site!

Roger roger.bea at blueyonder.co.uk
Fri Nov 2 13:46:14 GMT 2007

Well on the way to proving Highfield's statement literally wrong, but
maybe right in principle.

On the basis of his other figures (for what they are worth), given 17
million total with 850,000 using Macs, 600 isn't our real target, but
orders of magnitude times that many.  Sure there's a multiplier for
actual signatures compared with the real number of individuals, but I'd
suspect that our response rate would be higher than is usual for
(e)petitions: we are genuinely concerned and computer-savvy.

And in fact, most of us have access to window-boxes - er, sorry, I mean
Windows boxes - so we aren't totally excluded anyway.

The BBC really should have gone for a generic standards-based solution
in the first place,  but I don't know that basing the argument on the
size of the Linux community is helpful - that numbers game may validate
Highfield's position rather than not.

Mind you I could be wrong: at 120 per hour (based on the last couple),
raising 60,000 signatures will only take about 500 hours...

Again, that "17 million" isn't tied down, even if it's accurate.
There's a big difference between "17 million ever" and "17 million per
day", even per month or year.

Nevertheless, I think our target needs to be lots more than 600.

Roger