[Wylug-discuss] HMRC data loss = No ID cards?

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Tue Nov 20 23:17:58 GMT 2007

All,

The beeb reports...

...that junior civil servants at HMRC burned the entire database of
child benefit recipients, including NI numbers, DOBs and bank details on
to a couple of CD-Rs, then stuck them in the post, and lost them.

This would include me (+ wife + kids) so I'm hardly impressed.

On the plus side, does this mean that the government's ability to manage
big databases of personal information is now proved to be utterly
non-existent? Perhaps now they'll never manage to pull off the national
ID card database.

James