[Wylug-discuss] Data Protection Act

Chris Street chris at chris-street.demon.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 00:25:45 GMT 2007

Rob Hall wrote:

I've sent my MP a list of searching questions. Having been slapped with
the Standard Life breach and now this one I must confess Openoffice was
set to "nuclear fallout" on the annoyed meter.... Perhaps if everyone
else sent their MP a letter about this and expressed dismay we may get
the ID cards database knocked on the head.

What I want to know is how a "junior offical" was even able to do a full
data daump in the first place, let alone send it out in what seems to be
a password protected ZIP file. Three times.

Darling then reports that the data isn't in the wrong hands - well if
the NAO hasn't got it then it's in the wrong hands simple as that.
Reading the transcript on Hansard reveals a woeful and cavalier attitude
to this even after a screwup of this magnitude....

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmtoday/cmdebate/03.htm