[Wylug-discuss] Server Cases

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Thu Oct 25 12:06:00 BST 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 10:29:23PM +0100, Tom Hall wrote:
> Two guys from WYLUG have asked me about server cases recently.
> The only good site I have found with published prices is
> http://www.xcase.co.uk/c/118777/1/19-rackmount-cases.html
> But I (and I assume they) would love to find better options.

FWIW, I don't build servers any more because they're too much hassle
hardware wise.

You can pick up used branded servers relatively cheaply, and they'll
have proper hotswap drives and fast RAID controllers. If you're running
anything vaguely important you'll really appreciate just being able to
yank a failed drive out and slot a new one in without any rebooting,
opening the case etc.

We use etb-tech.com and they've always been superb.

Just looking on their site now, they have a Dell dual 2.5G Xeon with 1GB
dual GbE, and 5x36GB drives for 550GBP, which is quite a lot of server
for your money.

Shameless plug follows...

aql have plenty of colo space in Leeds city centre at the moment :-)
See: http://aql.com/telecoms/site/colocation.php

Regards,

James