[Wylug-discuss] List Etiquette: Top Posting vs. Bottom Posting

Paul Brook paul at codesourcery.com
Sun Oct 28 02:12:45 GMT 2007

>   1. Should we continue to maintain our long-term policy of asking
>      people to bottom post?

Yes please.

As someone who gets ~3k email/week I'm a firm believer in bottom/middle
posting, with the caveat that posting without trimming the quoted response is
bad however you reply.  Mailinglists are one->many, so it *should* require a
bit of time and effort on the part of the sender to trim and reply
appropriately.

>   2. If you believe that the policy should be maintained, what do you
>      think we should do about top-posting?

I wish I had a good suggestion for this.

For first time offenders I tend to reformat the email properly, and politely
remind them when replying.  Repeat offenders get their mail deleted unread.

> In my experience, the need to readjust both reading and writing modes on
> a message by message basis is a right pain in the neck, wrist and brain
>
> ... and I'd even go so far as to claim that mixing posting modes makes
> it objectively difficult to follow more than 2 or 3 steps in a threaded
> discussion.

Completely agreed.

Paul (donning his asbestos underwear)