References Re: [Wylug-discuss] List Etiquette: Top Posting vs. Bottom Posting

Roger Beaumont roger.bea at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Oct 28 12:35:00 GMT 2007

Dave Fisher wrote:
> Sorry for repying to my own post, but I thought it might help those who
> haven't encountered this debate before, if I posted a couple of
> references:
>   Wikipedia on Posting Style: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
<snip>
> I'd particularly draw attention to this observation in the Wikipedia
> piece:
>   "Top-posting is viewed as seriously destructive to mailing-list
>   digests, where multiple levels of top-posting are difficult to skip.
>   The worst case would be top-posting while including an entire digest
>   as the original message"

Sorry to be a dissenting voice, but in context, I took the most significant
element of that paragraph as the word "entire", especially as "entire
digest" - I inferred that the real sin (according to that article) was not
removing redundant material, which would, I guess, be available elsewhere
in the digest.

As I read it (maybe because it fits my own personal preference) the overall
tenor was that top-posting and inline-posting were good practice these
days, as illustrated by:
-----------------------------------
Some believe that "top-posting" is appropriate for interpersonal e-mail,
but inline posting should always be applied to threaded discussions such as
newsgroups. Objections to top-posting on newsgroups, as a rule, seem to
come from persons who first went online in the earlier days of Usenet, and
in communities that date to Usenet's early days.  ...  Newer online
participants, especially those with limited experience of Usenet, tend to
be less sensitive to arguments about posting style.

It may be that users used to older, terminal-oriented software which was
unable to easily show references to posts being replied to, learned to
prefer the summary that not top-posting gives; it is also likely that the
general slower propagation times of the original Usenet groups made that
summary a useful reminder of older posts. As news and mail readers have
become more capable, and as propagation times have grown shorter, newer
users may find top-posting more efficient.

Basically, I prefer to see some new material without much (ideally any)
scrolling, since, if a thread interests me, I've normally read the previous
often better, but always remove redundant material unless it's going to a
new participant.

Roger

PS  I'm not trying to denigrate or argue for change in list policy, just to
explain my own preference.