[Wylug-discuss] *nix on G4 Mac Mini

Towle, William william.towle at echostar.com
Wed Oct 31 11:13:08 GMT 2007

>= [mailto:wylug-discuss-bounces at wylug.org.uk] On Behalf Of Dave Fisher
> On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 05:55:25PM +0000, Dick W wrote:
> > Have you tried gentoo? I use it on my G3 Mac using distcc
> to use my amd64
> > desktop to help with the compile times
>
> I started this thread by saying that I don't have time to roll my own.

  ...except according to the Gentoo Linux PPC Handbook
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml) there
is a second CD, known as "the GRP set" which contains prebuilt
binaries. It appears you could get reasonably well started with
this (it's got KDE/Gnome, OpenOffice), and perhaps elect to
recompile anything too resource-hungry later.

  penguinppc.org have a list of other suitable distributions at
http://www.penguinppc.org/about/distributions.php. They list an
Ubuntu port, for example, but it's not (apparently) officially
supported. I learn elsewhere that there's an user-authored
guide to Debian on Mac here:
http://sowerbutts.com/linux-mac-mini/

(Interesting. Might look deeper into this a bit myself...)
Cheers,
  Wills.