[Wylug-discuss] *nix on G4 Mac Mini

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Wed Oct 31 16:32:54 GMT 2007

On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 03:50:52PM +0000, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> I've made a conscious decision to work within the Mac way of doing
> things as far as possible, rather than using it as a standard Unix
> platform

A sensible approach, which I tried myself, but couldn't main because of
the mouse depencency.

> It does help that I've been working with what is to my mind the nicest
> text editor I have discovered (TextMate) - that makes up for a multitude
> of problems.

Yeah, I've heard great things about it, and like what little I've seen
of it in action.

> The stuff that Apple has basically introduced to the desktop - ie
> ubiquitous search (Spotlight) and decent backup (Time Machine) has
> worked well - search is now very good without the horrid side effects I
> previously saw with Beagle etc.

I agree entirely about Spotlight (and Beagle/Tracker, etc on Linux).  I
really liked the ability to launch apps from a couple of keystrokes,
without having pre-defined key bindings per package.

I've rarely seen an app that actually learned my patterns of work and
preferences so well ... it looks like they've put a great deal of work
into thinking through metadata.

> Time Machine
<snip>
> Technically the idea
> of hard-linking directories is really scary.

Oh my God!

Dave