[Wylug-discuss] Re: what is the difference?

Towle, William william.towle at echostar.com
Thu Sep 6 10:22:52 BST 2007

> On Thu, 6 Sep 2007, Nigel Metheringham wrote:
> > Ideally stick to the XFCE tools and
> avoid KDE/gnome
> > as either of those would pull in a great pile of additional support
> > code, however if you use (say) a kde program, then you
> already have that
> > support code loaded, so using an additional kde program
> would not have
> > that hit again.
>
> To be honest, I use twm and xterms on a number of my systems, but I'm
> old-fashioned. ;-)

  I was taken with fvwm (IIRC) for a while, via a carefully hand-
crafted startup script, but went through a phase of trying distros
that made the script increasingly less agnostic to what it was
running on and gave up maintaining it. I run KDE now, in which I
particularly like the "sticky" screen and window edges for
aligning windows neatly.

  Most recently, I was impressed to find a (boot and root-)floppy
distribution that ran a desktop - namely BasicLinux. They elect to
have jwm, also an option in Damn Small Linux. It seems to suit the
"small and functional" niche reasonably well.

Wills.