[Wylug-discuss] Re: what is the difference?

Towle, William william.towle at echostar.com
Thu Sep 6 12:35:23 BST 2007

>= Smylers
> Towle, William writes:
>
> > I run KDE now, in which I particularly like the "sticky" screen and
> > window edges for aligning windows neatly.
>
> Gnome does that too, so it isn't a criterion for choosing
> between them.

  ...I'm not sure it was an option at the time I played
with both, though. I'm used to getting KDE to stay out of
the way now and despite having multiple windows with title
bars and a picture backdrop in evidence I was accused of
using raw X the other day!

  When work upgraded the linux installs and I got Gnome as
default I did consider not switching back, but some of the
niggles people started to have dissuaded me. That's not a
slur on Gnome per se, it could be anything from application
bugs and user (non-)education, to poor administration
that's as fault as much as it might be the new(er) Gnome
itself. What I had before still just works :)

> > Most recently, I was impressed to find a (boot and root-)floppy
> > distribution that ran a desktop
>
> A floppy distribution?  People still have computers with
> floppy drives?
> How quaint!

  Yes I do, incidentally. But a lot of time I emulate as
well, and USB connectivity and ISO images are not the
easier options. YMMV, obviously.

W.