[Wylug-discuss] Small quiet low-power linux boxes

Nigel Metheringham nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk
Sun Sep 9 21:07:30 BST 2007

I've been running a Mini-ITX VIA CPU system at home for a few years, and
its getting a little long in the tooth (on its second PSU).

Has anyone any suggestions and/or personal experience of small lower
power fanless (ideally - certainly very quiet) linux capable boxes?

The box currently handles mail (IMAP + SMTP including spam scanning),
some web stuff (although thats not a major function and could be moved)
and a few general purpose bits and pieces. The VIA CPU is convenient in
that I can just run a standard linux distro (it runs Fedora). I am
thinking about making more of the storage available as a network drive
to the network.

I was wondering if any of the NAS boxes are up to this sort of thing, or
are they all completely crippled with insufficient CPU and RAM to do
more than one function.

Cheers
     Nigel.