[Wylug-discuss] Virgin internet (lack of) connection

Roger Beaumont roger.bea at blueyonder.co.uk
Wed Sep 26 02:26:28 BST 2007

OK, I think it's fixed.

The signs and symptoms eventually pointed to my firewall rules - but they
have worked for years ... except that I needed, back in 2005, to use the
then new IANA IP address space table.

So I checked for a new version - and would you believe it, there was a new
one issued on 2007-09-20!  Download that and apply it and suddenly the
sites all work again.

Who'd believe that that would happen 2 days before VM did their thing?

Thank heaven for Marie (ext 2484) - someone on one of the VM help desks who
actually knew what I was talking about, so provided credible info - who
diverted me from suspecting VM into checking other stuff.

I think I'll still convert to the "ntl: Business" deal.  Their phone +
broadband deal is a few quid cheaper than the Virgin home package (£30 +
calls @ 1.6p/min, versus £35 inc 200 free minutes), twice the speed (4Meg
instead of 2), and with free tech support.  It'll cost me the £70
installation fee, but should, I hope, give much more peace of mind.

Thanks to everyone who helped to guide me through the maze.

Good networking,

Roger