[Wylug-discuss] Open Source attacks.

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Tue Apr 8 15:11:34 BST 2008

On Tue, 8 Apr 2008, Shaun Laughey wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I have a great little discussion starter here.
>
> You all remember the "Get the facts" campaign by Microsoft trying to
> make out that Windows was cheaper and more secure than Linux?
>
> Well I've been seeing those arguments used more and more recently by
> the "general public" or people posting comments on semi-technical
> sites such as the one below.
>
> http://www.pcretailmag.com/news/29647/Gartner-claims-open-source-will-rule
>
> I wonder if Microsoft is now funding teams to repeat the company line
> on websites or is Windows becoming so bad that people are obsessing
> about it and repeat the standard excuse for why it's so bad...

Wouldn't surprize me. But it's not necessary for them to do it - there are
enough people who just don't understand the FreeSoftware/OpenSource
developement model to spout off.

It's odd the fan base that MS have. Way back when they announced the
Windows New Technology model, I remember computer people getting all worked
up about it. While to us Unix/Linux guys it just looked (and was) so
crippled - one active user, no cli everything done via a GUI, reboot after
every change, etc, etc :-) All things that of course they have rectified
(or attempted to) since.

> So my question is what is the threat to Microsoft and by extension
> their fanboys? Surely OSS runs on Windows too?
>
> If they were attacking Linux I'd understand but the attacks seem to be
> at Open Source Software.

It's a defense mechanism. Very often they are just in denial. They'd
obviously feel right charlies if they admitted to themselves that OS/Free
software can do everything, and more, that the software they've mortgaged
the house for. Also they've invested, mentally and probably with cash, in
learning all that stuff. Heck, people won't even let VMS die!

cheers
Jim