[Wylug-discuss] Open Source attacks.

Peter Nix p.j.nix at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Apr 9 11:29:45 BST 2008

On 9 Apr 2008, at 09:53, Lee Evans wrote:
> particularly long period of time. I can't imagine many of the
> scripts or
> config hacks I used on my Linux systems 10 years ago working or
> being even
> remotely relevant today.

I think I first started using Unix machines in 1990. Sun and SGI if I
remember correctly. The command line toolset I came across then has
continued to serve me well. Cron  scripts I ran on those machines have
over the years moved happily onto various Linux machines and now run
from a very familiar-looking crontab on various Macintosh machines I
run today.  Large Perl script I wrote fifteen years ago have migrated
happily towards their current systems.

In 1995 I bought a cross-platform (MacOS/Win 95) installer CD for
Claris Filemaker Pro v3 - a simple desktop database programme which we
would use in my department at the university to run various record
sets. Every so often over the last thirteen years we have moved the
data files onto new hardware and OSs then got out the CD and installed
the application. So far, it's installed and run correctly without
patches or updates under:

Macos 7.*
Macos 8.*
Macos 9.*
currently Macos 9 emulation under Macos 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 on non-intel
Macs

Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows NT
(never tried me/2000)
Windows XP
Windows XP SP1
Windows XP SP2

Haven't yet tried it on  Vista ...

The boolean algebra I learnt as a philosophy student in the late 1960s
made writing netmasks easy in when in 1992 I started attaching
machines to IP networks, and it continues to serve me today when I
configure firewalls at home and at work.

And like much like James I had a period running an NT domain, but:

> Windows 2000 appeared on the horizon.
>
> I realised that all my knowledge and career was based on was a bunch
> of
> stupid tweaks and hacks, and that everything I knew was about to be
> obsoleted by the inevitable pointless progression in the Microsoft
> world.

Peter

--
Peter Nix, School of Fine Art, History of Art & Cultural Studies,
Old Mining Building, University of Leeds, Leeds, LS2 9JT, UK.