[Wylug-discuss] Defence of Linux at work

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Apr 24 17:42:58 BST 2008

Hi folks.

I've got a problem.  I've got a network at work based around Linux servers.
These are mainly just network file servers, but key ones include our Exim /
Dovecot / Spamassassin based mail server, our Apache / PHP/ Postgresql, and
our Bacula based backup solution.

We are currently working through a risk assessment / disaster recovery
evaluation and the management have grave concerns about their dependancy on
me.

This was highlighted today by the company we have in doing some network
consultancy.  He said that he could name 20 companies - including his own -
that could walk in and support a MS based network with Windows Server,
Exchange SQL server etc., but he could not name one that could support Linux.
And went onto support the argument by saying that if he could, they probably
wouldn't be able to support it to the same degree because of the number of
flavours of Linux.

If I can't put up a strong enough counter-argument we could end up buying in a
bucket load of MS software to do what is already working.

Anyone got any possible responses, or better still companies that would be
willing to provide such support.

Gary
--
Gary Stainburn