[Wylug-discuss] Defence of Linux at work

Christopher Brown snecklifter at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 22:47:15 BST 2008

2008/4/24 Gary Stainburn <gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk>:
> Hi folks.
>
>  I've got a problem.  I've got a network at work based around Linux servers.
>  These are mainly just network file servers, but key ones include our Exim /
>  Dovecot / Spamassassin based mail server, our Apache / PHP/ Postgresql, and
>  our Bacula based backup solution.
>
>  We are currently working through a risk assessment / disaster recovery
>  evaluation and the management have grave concerns about their dependancy on
>  me.
>
>  This was highlighted today by the company we have in doing some network
>  consultancy.  He said that he could name 20 companies - including his own -
>  that could walk in and support a MS based network with Windows Server,
>  Exchange SQL server etc., but he could not name one that could support Linux.
>  And went onto support the argument by saying that if he could, they probably
>  wouldn't be able to support it to the same degree because of the number of
>  flavours of Linux.
>
>  If I can't put up a strong enough counter-argument we could end up buying in a
>  bucket load of MS software to do what is already working.
>
>  Anyone got any possible responses, or better still companies that would be
>  willing to provide such support.

Ahhh, a network consultant. Isn't that funny that his own could
support Windows but not Linux. Definitely _not_ someone I would have
consulting me. A "Certified partner" perchance? I believe you have to
do MS-only to get "Gold certification". Maybe I'm just being cynical.

You don't mention what flavour of Linux you are running but perhaps
you'd consider moving to RHEL or SUSE if management are so keen on
spending some cash on system support. With both distros you get access
to a good range of support channels along with certified vendor etc.

Perhaps the best argument is the one for Exchange. Due to the open
standards on which they are currently running, they have the happy
option of moving with relative ease to another mail server. Once
migrated to exchange doing the reverse is very much harder.

You could tally up and show them how much their current setup has
saved them since whenever. You could also comment on the cost of
migration to the setup they envisage.

Really though I'd take the "I understand your concerns and $REASON is
why they are not valid or soon won't be" line.

Cheers

--
Christopher Brown

http://www.chruz.com