[Wylug-discuss] EeePC and Samba

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 11 10:13:11 GMT 2008

I've had no luck so far getting samba to work.  First, an explanation.  I use
samba for all my networking even though 99% of it is linux to linux.  The 1%
windows connectivity is the reason for this.

The supplied smb.conf has some very specific eeepc/xandros lines.  I tried
renaming it and putting in my sparse but effective smb.conf, but lost even
the ability to see a network icon on the screen.  The supplied smb.conf had
to be reinstated.

Clicking on the network icon brings up my network with its correct name - but
it only contains the eeepc, and browsing from another laptop can't see the
eeepc.

Logwatch supplies the following entries:

 nmbd/nmbd_incomingdgrams.c:process_reset_browser(729)  process_reset_browser:
received diagnostic browser reset request from EEEPC-ANNE<00> IP 192.168.0.77
state=0x2 : 32 Time(s)
 nmbd/nmbd_incomingrequests.c:process_name_release_request(118)
process_name_release_request: Attempt to release name LYDGATE.LAN<1d> from IP
192.168.0.73 on subnet 192.168.0.70 being rejected as it is one of our
names. : 1 Time(s)

The last entry, I presume, would be the first attempt, when it tried dhcp.  I
immediately changed it to static.  Does the other message suggest anything
helpful?

Any more ideas for checking?  Logs seem to be almost non-existent.

Anne