[Wylug-discuss] EeePC and Samba - SOLVED

Anne Wilson cannewilson at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 11 13:26:29 GMT 2008

On Friday 11 Jan 2008, you wrote:
> Anne,
>
> Probably best not to muddy the warter (immediatly) but introducing NFS
> but it might be an idea to post your (original) smb.conf.

Situation solved.  It was muddied a great deal by the fact that it doesn't use
standard smbpasswd commands, even thought the help file lists the standard
ones.  -D is used to add a user!  I had earlier tried to use it to increase
the debug level.  The resulting dialogue gave me the clue.

After using the non-intuitive 'smbpasswd -D' to add anne as a user, it still
didn't work.  I then did two things, and I'm unsure which one was decisive -
maybe both were needed.  I had previously set host.conf to 'order hosts,
bind'.  I created /etc/samba/lmhosts and copied all the information
from /etc/hosts into the file.  At that point I didn't see an improvement, so
I rebooted - since I couldn't find the restart command - and lo and behold!
it's working.  To get to my home directory I have to use the name 'user',
not 'anne', but it works.

Anne