[Wylug-discuss] EeePC and Samba

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Fri Jan 11 17:17:33 GMT 2008

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, John Leach wrote:

> Yes, I should have been clearer - definitely "nearly proper".  I see
> username/password as better than IP based - in my (limited) experience
> of NFS, it's usually set up with IP based auth, whereas Samba always
> uses username/password auth.

It certainly is better, and NFS is normally setup that way.

> (this is why I prefer SMB at home, because I prefer the files to look owned
> by the connecting user).

I don't quite get what you mean (which I suspect is me being friday-dim).

> I suppose root would arrange the authenticated mount, then access for
> users on that client are controlled with normal filesystem permissions.
> Very much like NFS I guess, but just with a username/password on mount.

It's still slightly ickie, since you're trusting the local client too much.
As you say, it's very like NFS with system auth, with a bonus
username/password.

> I am being rather vague about this - my experience with all this stuff
> is admittedly a bit old :)

The right way to do it is having the mount done using a machine account, and
the individual users authenticating via kerberos.  Well, nearly anyhows.

jh

--
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work... I want to achieve it
  through not dying."                                 -- Woody Allen