[Wylug-discuss] Laptop Suggestions

Roger Greenwood rg at nthong.co.uk
Sat Jul 12 18:08:43 BST 2008

Hi All,

I am looking to get a second hand laptop to allow me to wander and surf etc.
My first thoughts are for IBM Thinkpads eg T42/43 as they seem to be rugged,
readily available, popular when used with linux, and most of the hardware
works.

I don't care what OS it comes with, I will be wiping and trying others (I got
an Open Solaris disk recently, for instance) but will probably end up with
Ubuntu or Suse (both of which I use now).

I found a few candidates on ebay around the £100 mark. New batteries are
around £50.

I don't want a new one as I don't need the speed, the cost (£280+) or the MS
Tax.

Any others I should consider ? Any other thoughts ?

Roger Greenwood