[Wylug-discuss] Laptop Suggestions

Roger Greenwood rg at nthong.co.uk
Tue Jul 15 23:18:03 BST 2008

On Tuesday 15 July 2008 22:57, Christopher Brown wrote:
> 2008/7/15 Roger Greenwood <rg at nthong.co.uk>:
> > Thanks for the comments, but I now have a dilemma :- I have discovered
> > the ei systems 1201 available at dixons and pcworld for less than £280.
>
> Yes, that's because its probably cheap tat like the rest of the
> systems PC World peddle out these days.
I know. But it's so beautiful.

> > Hard to not be tempted - new machine for not much more than a second hand
> > one. I have seen it running vista and have found at least 1 nut case like
> > me via google :-
> >
> > http://browncoatcat.wordpress.com/2008/06/24/i-did-it-ubuntu-linux-on-my-
> >laptop/
> >
> >  who wants to run something else on it. 1GB ram, 120GB HDD. processor
> > irrelevant in terms of speed. Battery life not good, but liveable for me.
> > Screen small but not as small as the asus titch etc. Anyone know any
> > showstoppers?
>
> Its not an eee. Isn't that enough? Who the hell are ei systems?
The eee is REALLY small. Too small for me, sorry, but then I haven't really
tried one either. As far as I can tell EI systems are a trading name just for
PCW and currys cheap tat. But they also have loyal users.....

> > I asked in pcworld if I could have one without an OS and the assistant
> > looked confused. Mind you he also looked like he was considering starting
> > shaving next year.
> >
> > I have an ebay bid on an IBM, but they seem to go for pretty good prices.
> > If I don't get it I will be back.
>
> They go for good prices because they are good kit. Its that simple.
I know. But £200+ for a good laptop for 2-3 years use, if I buy a new battery.
£280 for the same use. Hard not to consider it at least.

--
Any time things appear to be going better, you have overlooked
something.