[Wylug-discuss] Laptop Suggestions

Mark Ruddell mark at phonecoop.coop
Wed Jul 16 19:19:12 BST 2008

Roger Greenwood wrote:

> I haven't ignored it. I have a bid on an IBM, but am still looking at other
> options. As these devices are obsolete 6 months after purchase (according to

Hi Roger,

I reckon the built-in obsolescence is a feature of the OS, not the
hardware. I'm typing this on a 15-year-old laptop and it's quite happy
running xubuntu 8.04. It's quite obvious if you look on manufacturer's
websites ("dell recommends vista ultimate" in the top of each screen,
etc) that they have an arrangement to keep artificially stimulating each
other's markets. The results? Child soldiers and genocide in the Congo
fuelled by demand for Coltan. Another strong reason to get yourself off
the consumption treadmill by adopting free software.

Mark