[Wylug-discuss] SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards (fwd)

Jim Jackson jj at franjam.org.uk
Sat Jun 7 11:30:01 BST 2008

For interest...

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 14:18:17 -0700
From: Ross Turk <rturk at corp.sourceforge.com>
To: Ross David Turk <rturk at corp.sourceforge.com>
Subject: SourceForge.net Community Choice Awards

Hi from SourceForge.net!

We (probably) haven't met.  I'm Ross Turk, Community Manager.  I got your name
off of the list of LUG contacts at www.linux.org/groups.

I wanted to drop a quick note about something that your members might be
interested in.  Nominations are officially open for the 3rd annual
Sourceforge.net Community Choice Awards. This year, for the first time, the
awards will be open to ALL open source projects, not just those that count
SourceForge.net as home.

The nomination period is open until June 20th, then there are 6 weeks of voting
on the finalists for each category.  It leads up to the awards party during
OSCON at the Jupiter Hotel in downtown Portland on July 24th.  Last year it was
a pretty big deal, with over 500 open source people attending.  It's not a
boring awards ceremony...we try to make it wide open and fun, with food and
drink and geeky prizes.

Just to give you a taste, this year's categories are:

Best Project (Last year's winner: 7-Zip)
Best Project for the Enterprise (Last year's winner: Firebird)
Best Project for Educators
Most Likely to Be the Next $1B Acquisition
Best Project for Multimedia (Last year's winner: Audacity)
Best Project for Gamers (Last year's winner: ScummVM)
Most Likely to Change the World
Best New Project (Last year's winners: eMule -- which wasn't really "new" --
and Launchy -- which was)
Most Likely to Be Ambiguously Accused of Patent Violation
Most Likely to Get Users Sued
Best Tool or Utility for SysAdmins (Last year's winner: phpMyAdmin)
Best Tool or Utility for Developers (Last year's winner: TortoiseSVN)

Would it be possible to publicize this to your members?  What is the best way
to do this?  The deadline is June 20th, so really this week or next is best.

Thanks for your help,
Ross

--
Ross Turk <rturk at corp.sourceforge.com>