[Wylug-discuss] Call for talks/ideas for talks

RichardA pingvin at simaric.net
Mon Jun 30 01:21:25 BST 2008

> On Sun, 29 Jun 2008, RichardA wrote:
> > Nagios for alerting and Cacti for graphs, running on Ubuntu... in a
> > Novell/MS shop. We fought with Insight Manager for a while, then
> > decided to just use something that actually works.
>
> I quite liked nagios with pnp.  Peasy to set up, and gives you
> monitoring with historical graphing all in one lump.

Looks good, but when I researched this I couldn't tell which add-ons
were popular enough, and was worried I'd end up looking for support
from a minority of a minority (a bit like running BSD :)), so I kept it
simple.

One add-on I am implementing is NagVis. Not production quality code,
but it runs on top of Nagios, not integrated with it. We have big TVs on
the walls, and management really want to see pretty graphics of
service status on them.