[Wylug-discuss] Call for talks/ideas for talks

Roger Leigh rleigh at whinlatter.ukfsn.org
Mon Jun 30 16:02:34 BST 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 02:43:14PM +0100, David Holden wrote:
> On Monday 30 June 2008, Roger Leigh wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 11:23:44PM +0100, Tom Hall wrote:
> > > I am just nudging the list for volunteers to give talks in future
> > > WYLUGs, or topics that people would enjoy seeing talks on.
> > > The only reply last time was from Christopher Brown asking for
> > > something on sourcecode management; git, SVN, CVS diff, patch etc.
> > > Anyone doing anything cool here?
> >
> > I'm a regular user of CVS, SVN, Arch and Git.  I can give a talk on them
> > if there is interest in that.
> > If anyone had any specific VCS topics in mind, I'm sure I could cover
> > them.
>
> I'd be interested in one of Git. Particular how best to use it in a
> development cycle as a lone developer.

That's the easiest use case for git :)

It's also what I use most myself, though I do occasionally pull other
branches from people.  Normally, I use a central "official" repository
and pull and push just from that to my local machine, as do other
developers in the project.  It is, of course, possible for anyone to
clone that and then pull and push between me, themselves, and the
central repo as they feel!  git makes branching and merging so easy, you
do it all the time (the equivalent of "cvs/svn update", "git pull" is in
effect a combined fetch and branch merge).  The simplest case is just to
have a single standalone repo on your local machine, though that's not
so great for backups and letting others get a copy.

One I work on quite frequently is schroot:
  http://git.debian.org/?p=buildd-tools/schroot.git;a=summary
  git clone git://git.debian.org/git/buildd-tools/schroot.git

This would probably be a good simple example for how to use git.  On
that page you can see both tagged releases, branches (heads) and the
current master activity.

Example changeset from a contributor:
  http://git.debian.org/?p=buildd-tools/schroot.git;a=commitdiff;h=48a24ea4e5a893a1f3404cad2b89d90e5d01232f

Regards,